Wednesday 9 January 2013

62 - A Conversation with Confucius

I'm reading Ernest K. Gann's pilot's memoir, 'Fate Is The Hunter', at the moment. It is a very compelling book, which I'd like to emulate in some way. I'd also like to write about it, perhaps in a reivew. For now, I just want to quote, in full, the passage from the Analects that precedes the book's preface:

"I'll teach you how to escape death.
...there is a raven in the eastern sea which is called Yitai ("dull-head"). This dull-head cannot fly very high and seems very stupid. It hops only a short distance and nestles close with others of its kind. In going forward, it dare not lag behind. At the time of feeding, it takes what is left over by the other birds. Therefore, the ranks of this bird are never depleted and nobody can do them any harm. A tree with a straight trunk is the first to be chopped down. A well with sweet water is the first to be drawn dry."

- TAIKUNG JEN, in a conversation with Confucius

1 comment:

  1. isn't it the "ranks of these birds" etc.?

    also, this seems a rather sarcastic account, or am I missing some confucian point here?

    ReplyDelete