Friday 8 March 2013

88 - 春曉

春眠不覺曉
處處聞啼鳥
夜來風雨聲
花落知多少

The poem above, 'Spring Dawn' was written by Meng Haoran, a Chinese poet who lived during the Tang Dynasty (618 - 907AD), an era renowned for its contributions to Classical Chinese poetry. The position of Meng's poetry in the Chinese poetical canon was perhaps confirmed by its inclusion in the 18th century anthology, Three Hundred Tang Poems, which has subsequently been reprinted many times.

It is hard for me to settle on a single translation, since the meaning of the poem is ambiguous to me. I will place a couple of alternative translations below. My Taiwanese friends agree that it is hard to discern the poem's exact meaning. This is comforting to me.

Here is a direct translation, word for word:

春眠不覺曉 - spring sleep unconcious dawn
處處聞啼鳥 - everywhere hear crying birds
夜來風雨聲 - night come wind and rain sound
花落知多少 - flowers drop know how many

Below is a translation by Andrew Wang-Fat Wong (黃宏發) whose excellent blog Classical Chinese Poems in English has been very helpful to me:

1  春眠不覺曉
2  處處聞啼鳥
3  夜來風雨聲
4  花落知多少
 
1/ In spring, I sleep, unaware morning is here,
2/ From near then far, trilling songbirds I hear.
3/ In the din of the wind and rain all through the night,
4/ How many blossoms fallen? Not few, I fear!

Finally, here is Hugh Grigg's translation, from the East Asia Student blog:

In Spring one sleeps, unaware of dawn;
everywhere one hears crowing birds.
In the night came the sound of wind and rain;
who knows how many flowers fell?

6 comments:

  1. I dont' know Chinese language, and I know English not very well, but I' am going to translate these poems in Italian...!

    (Poetry is what gets lost in translation, indeed)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing is, the most poetic to me seemed the simple word for word transcription. It suits poetry's best intentions to aspire to beauty and meaning without too much distraction. Also, the fact that the original is ambiguous is here best saved - instead of trying to deliberately kill it by some faux-elaborate English interpretation which in the end serves no purpose but to make the translator deem him/her-self creative while possibly destroying the writer's actual intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jago, go for it. Perhaps just use a direct translation of the Chinese as a guide and see what you can create in Italian. I'd be interested to know how you get on.

    In a funny coincidence, the phrase you quoted, 'poetry is what gets lost in translation', appeared in the book I'm reading at the moment on the same day that I read your comment. I think there's some truth to it, although a true poet/translator should be able to render meaning in another language, without the excuse that poetry is ineffable. Still, the sensation you get when you read a poem cannot be transferred into other words.

    Nick, it's interesting you say that. I always wind up seeing English translations of Chinese poetry after having read the original. Regardless of the fact that some of the original might be over my head, the translations still seem a bit hollow and unpoetic, while the ideas or images from the poems, expressed in the simplest terms possible, still have some power to them.

    However, I guess a good translator of poetry has to use that creativity you mention. The best translator of poetry is undoubtedly going to themselves be a very good poet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ciao, Adam

    Here my translation

    Primavera ,qualcuno dorme ancora ignaro dell'alba
    Qualcuno sente gli usignoli cantare.
    Per tutta la notte il fragore della pioggia e del vento;
    Quanti fiori caddero? Non pochi, temo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao, Jago

      Not sure why I never replied: I don't know Italian but I love that you translated this. I love the idea of poetry passing through many different languages.

      Hope you are well. Happy new year!

      Delete