Friday 9 February 2018

new obsession

sadly I have a new obsession: decades-old Russian/Soviet propoganda art, especially the posters that glorify the Space Race 

Glory to the workers of Soviet science and technology!
It is sad to think of the disparity between the ideals depicted in these beautiful images/the goals aspired to and set out in the slogans versus the crippling poverty and drudgery that people reported from behind the so-called Iron Curtain.

yet it is becoming an obsession - my own curtains drape for Stalin now, though I know he was a killer - I have covered my windows in slogans also

In the Name of Peace
I find it hard to be unaffected by the glory. It's religious almost. It's patriotic and political of course. But the sense is of something beyond everyday, something majestic. I'm a sucker - as with religious icons, here these designs get right under my skin.
Soviet Aviation  - Pride of the People!

I don't know the language and wasn't even born when they were made, but I get inspired - the urge to work hard (always weak in me) rockets skyward

Long live the friendship between the peoples of the USSR and China

the ideology may be all wrong/the context you could misconstrue: it's just colour that I like, and optimism too

through worlds and centuries
these pieces of art were made to indoctrinate and publicise but at such a remove of time and place they look gorgeous to my eyes

In the name of peace and progress!

For anyone else who enjoys these images, there are far superior blog posts on them here (from the BBC) and here (from Russia Trek).

No comments:

Post a Comment