Sunday 23 August 2020

my flippant response to hearing that a man at an agricultural fair in Guernsey was flying a Confederate flag

I flew a communist banner at an agricultural fair but after half an hour of quietly observing my stall and volunteering diligently I found that some trouble makers were making trouble and I had to engage in another tedious conversation: yes, the Soviet Union fought the Nazis in the Second World War. Yes, they were a BIG part of the war effort. And yes the flag has other connotations and some people think that the sight of the hammer and sickle reminds them of mass starvation or nuclear meltdown or corruption and mismanagement so gross that millions had to die in the name of communism but for me it has a different meaning and for that reason I want to fly my flag. Anyone who tells me not to is ignorant.

Yet they told me that I was being ignorant. A woman who grew up in Hungary told me that the Soviet Union was evil and that I was evil for flying a flag that reminded her and other victims of that regime of the evil that they had to endure. She might not have used those words exactly but I know how her mind works. Anyway I wanted to fly my flag.

I wanted to argue with people online but also to argue with some people in the real world. I have been arguing with everyone in my head for so long that it felt like the right time to finally use some of the skills I have acquired and to really roast some haters. I wanted to get them to bring out their right wing views so that I could laugh at their pathetic arguments and beat them until they cried and then to piss on their tears.

In reality I flew my flag to get a reaction and when I got the reaction I wanted I acted as though I didn't know what was being spoken about. Communism? Bad? It stands for love for everyone and whatever you say it stands for what I think it stands for and, actually, it stands for the views of Jesus Christ and anyone who disagrees, well, they are trying to find fault with nothing. With everything. So I told them this and I flew my flag.

I tried to sing the La Marseillaise but I forgot the words. I could only remember: 'Aux armes, citoyens!', so I kept repeating that line and after a few goes I was shouting it and holding on to my flag so that no one would try to take it down. Aux armes indeed. They were ready for an argument but they weren't ready for a full-scale meltdown. Whereas I was ready to cry and piss myself and make a scene and still act like they were in the wrong and they were bullying me.

Oh, and I remembered the line where it goes 'Marchons, marchons!' so I sang that too. I sang it and shouted it and the trouble makers left me alone but one of the coward volunteers told me that if I didn't take my flag down then I'd be asked to leave, so I left myself and took my flag with me. 

I want to go back to arguing with people in my head. There I always win.

No comments:

Post a Comment