Friday 8 February 2013

76 - Epilogue to A Terrible Genesis

It's been a year since the catastrophe that we caused by naming things. Winter, as devastating as hunger, as abject as head-churning thirst slowly came and slowly went. Spring then found us, a surprise to feel relaxation spread, a pleasure to sense sunshine. We're now in autumn, having survived a dry, sweaty summer where the dust was high.

My eyes were taken by a mad dog who seemed to take pleasure in ripping the sight out of me. With one briefly surviving eye I observed my mis-treatment. Finally he gobbled up what was left of those eyeballs of mine and I was left screaming in new theatres of pain, alone.

It was a good thing that loneliness didn't last all the way until now. After a traveller took pity on me, we spent some of the winter together. In a temporary hut, leaking, creaking in the wind and only just about warmer than the outdoors, he fed me soup, which smelt bad, both rancid and bland at once, but tasted like an opening up of every taste bud. We had hunks of ancient bread.

In spring I was slowing him down. We'd barely spoken, but the conversation we had the last time we sat together was our longest, well, he spoke a lot anyway. "Adam, stay warm when you can"; "don't give up, Adam," he kept saying. He liked to convince me there was some point left to life. He left me on an uneven rock by the side of the road.

Now that summer's given hope to many, and its sparse fruits and faint tastes still linger, people seem more abundant. I sometimes encounter more than one a day, but I've stopped speaking. For one thing, no one must ever know that this terrible future was my making, and for another, I cannot bring myself to utter any animal's name, which leaves vast, often unbridgeable gaps in my conversation. Also, there's fear, I'm so sure only bad things will happen when I speak that I'd rather stay silent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment